Monday, June 13, 2005

creative transgressions

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
photo by steph

Taboos, they say, make transgressions so pleasurable. There is an intense pleasure in doing something you don’t really expect to get away with, but no pleasure at all in getting caught. It’s a mysterious and self-contradictory thing.

In my childhood home, the walls of my parents’ bedroom were covered in pale green wallpaper, which, upon closer inspection, wasn’t green at all. It was actually white, or off-white, with a complex but faint floral pattern. Those appearing and disappearing flowers intrigued me because even at close range, there weren’t any real flowers there at all, just thin outlines of flowers, carefully, minutely, methodically drawn, it seemed to me, with a pale green pen.

I remember standing close to the wall one afternoon. I wasn’t supposed to be alone in my parents’ bedroom. It was off-limits; there were other places to play. I was about seven, just about eyelevel to the top of my father’s dresser, where he emptied his pockets every day after work at the college. My eyes swooped over his keys, his watch, the ubiquitous roll of peppermint Life Savers, a Chap Stick in its classic black plastic tube… and finally landed on his felt-tip pens, one of which was red. I found myself surrounded by all those empty faint flowers, just waiting to be colored in, set free from their bland anonymity on the wall, and I had just the means to do it.

Meticulously, proudly, and minding the lines, I filled the first tiny petals with bright blood-red ink. I admired my work, so pleased with my idea and sure my parents would be impressed and approve. The blood rushed next to my face, as I stepped back and realized what I’d started, for unless I filled in all the flowers with my felt-tip pen, and turned the whole wall red, the red mark, however neat, would not be the art I had intended. I colored in two or three more flowers, hoping to hide the first in a field of red. Predictably, the blood only spread; my transgression was impossible to hide or deny. I was punished promptly.

The bloody spots remained on the wall, and every time I saw them for years after that, until the house was sold and all its flawed walls became some other family’s problem, I blushed equally red – not with the penitence and shame my family still insists that I should feel, but with pleasure: with the complex satisfaction of a secret transgression, and the simple pride I took in my work.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right about the time you were getting caught painting your red flowers on your parents' bedroom walls, I was getting caught JUST OUTSIDE my parents' bedroom.

We were at our house in Corfu, where we used to spend many of our summers. I was at that age when young boys (and girls, I guess), get curious and inquisitive about everything, and about some things in particular.

I was in the corridor outside my parent's bedroom, and I knew my mother was in, probably wearing her swimsuit so we could go to the sea. Something inexplicable came over me. In a scientific experiment sort of way, I wanted to make some observations regarding the female body. What it's made of, what it looks like. I just couldn't resist. So I slowly placed my eye on the keyhole, to see if I would be making any important discoveries.

Fate has it that just as I did, my mother opened the door, right in front of me. Suddenly I was staring at the thick red and white stripes of her gown, at approximately the height of her belly button, from a distance of about 5 centimeters. I blushed until my cheeks were the color of your flowers. I slowly raised my eyes up, to meet my mothers, totally shocked. I tried to come up fast with some ridiculous excuse about how I was trying to fix the lock to their door, which was broken, or something equally absurd, I don't even remember...

What I was saying didn't make any sense, even to me. But what I will never forget is how my mother was trying hard not to smile, and took on a very serious look, as if understanding exactly what I was referring to, and thanking me for trying to take care of the serious door lock problem that had been plaguing them for ages.

I felt so relieved, and thankful for that sweet and wise reaction. That's my mom...

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, if I had siss's story-telling skills, this would have seemed much more interesting and funny, believe me...

9:44 AM  
Blogger soap said...

Oh, you've got plenty of skills of your own. Coming up with a good story, right on time, is one of them. Maybe I was wrong about getting caught. I wonder what would have happened if you hadn't.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home