Monday, July 18, 2005

1984



I don’t read much (and I write even less). So when in 1984 our English teacher at school announced we would be studying a book entitled “1984”, my first thought was “oh, brother…” Little did I know then, that I was right on!

George Orwell’s book left the biggest impression on me. ThoughtCrime and the Thought Police… The Ministries of Peace, Love, Plenty, and Truth…

“Truth is relative”…

And reality can sometimes be a point of view, or a matter of choice.

We sometimes find ourselves living in different versions of the truth; in different realities. It takes major shocks, and sometimes different amounts of saltwater (enormous masses or tiny drops), to step over the singularities, the points of discontinuity that separate one reality from the other.

The result is, of course… a realization. Which is no surprise… but which comes as a surprise in itself!

And so in skipping from one reality to the other, we guide our lives between the places and the people around us, trying to make room for all. Because sometimes, if one is lucky enough, one reality is just not enough.

4 Comments:

Blogger soap said...

Reality is supposed to be One Thing. Anything else is either madness or postmodernism.

I guess you're right, though, that there is some wiggle room for any number of realities. But let it be said that rearranging the furniture of the mind (as the saying goes) can be really hard work. I’m not very spatially inclined, so for me, it’s a matter of dragging everything to some other side of the room, straining my back and spraining my wrists, only to realize that the physical reality was not quite what I had in mind, and maybe things were better before. Still, it’s a good exercise, and if nothing else, a good opportunity to check for coins under the couch.

I changed the metaphor, when I should have pursued yours (saltwater). I love this post. I love it that “singularity” is sometimes plural.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, your comment is very kind, but you know that I am not crazy about this post. It meant to go in one direction, and ended up somewhere else.

What can you do...

Find any valuable coins lately?

9:33 PM  
Blogger soap said...

I haven't made the necessary re-arrangements, actually. As a result, I trip over big things; little things get misplaced; I have to hide stuff here and there because I'm too lazy to clear the requisite shelf space. I hoard.

About your post, you should know that all good writing happens that way. You start in one place and end up somewhere else. You can't always follow a map.

7:38 AM  
Blogger boyblue said...

.
it reminded me of these words for some bizarre reason:

‘but cannot i create?
cannot i form? cannot i fashion forth
another world, another universe
to overbear and crumble this to nought?
where is another chaos? where?
.
by john keats in ‘hyperion’ – i:141-145

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home