Friday, October 28, 2005

Stromboli expedition

In late September 2002 I found myself on the volcanic island of Stromboli, and undertook a night expedition to the top of the volcano. This is a concise account of that night, in few words and some pictures. Why? Sissy knows...

I set "base camp" in a really nice bed-and-breakfast named "La Locanda del Barbablu'". From the terrace, the view to the volcano was captivating:




The expedition started out in the late afternoon, on a narrow path leading up to the mountain. After a few minutes walk, we had a first view of the black, burnt northern slopes of the mountain known as the "Sciara del Fuoco":




A few more turns of the road, and a gaze at the sunset over the hazy sea surrounding the Aeolian Islands:




As the dark of night set in, we were faced with the first signs of volcanic activity:




But we could not have imagined the continuous explosions that we would witness once on top, at regular intervals of about 4 minutes, with one really great one every half an hour. I set up my tripod, and shot some of the action:










Finally, a few hours past midnight, we set out for our return to sea-level, flashlights in hand, through a slope covered by volcanic ashes in which we sunk deep all the way to our knees with every step:




It was memorable.

11 Comments:

Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

Wow.

7:37 AM  
Blogger soap said...

Indeed.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed you know? Yeah, i know...

10:26 AM  
Blogger soap said...

I was agreeing with MySide, but I'll agree with you too. I do know a few things, but not as many as you think.

And anyway, it's a great post. You don't have to justify it; it justifies itself.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Sissy, always so kind. The post is nothing, though... but the pics of the eruptions are not bad, I think.

It's one of those situations where you really don't know how to set up your camera, and you definitely can't trust your equipment (reciprocity failure on the loose!). You know you won't get many chances like this, so of course quite a bit of bracketing is involved, but in the end you have to go with instinct.

I think it worked out pretty well. We were stationed at a hill about 250 meters from the main crater (there are three, but one is the most active). The big eruptions would shoot flaming lava as high as 75 meters in the air, and the sound they made was even more impressive, believe me, so it was altogether quite intense.

Anyway, you know how it goes, I can't write much so I post pics, and leave the hard stuff to you :-)

8:34 AM  
Blogger Erik said...

How did you happen to have a tripod? I find them very difficult to carry in my pocket.

The earth rewriting itself is always fun to witness...at a distance, of course. Yay!

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My camera bag has some straps for tying the tripod onto it. Heavy thing, but it would have been hopeless without it.

Then I lent it to a friend, and since then it's missing in action...

10:15 PM  
Blogger boyblue said...

fantastic! really...
i've been on a serious volcano trip lately. actually..and i'll say it just this once, here...the reason i stopped my blog is i'm writing a childrens' book. its called..actually i'll tell u what its called next time i see you ... anyway, the protagonist is a volcano. if you've got more pics/info i'd love to see/talk. coffee? my treat... just say when... good day!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey br, thanks for your comment.

I don't know much about volcanos really. I have a few pictures of Etna also, which i could leave a link to for you to download, if you are interested, but they are not as impressive as these.

I'm sure we'll bump into each other sooner or later.

Take care.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and good luck with your book! Can i have a signed and dedicated copy as soon as it's done?

4:15 PM  
Blogger boyblue said...

ofcourse,
actually by the time i finish it the little guy that just had a birthday we'll be reaching reading age..so...maybe it could be his first book..that'd be nice...
take care

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home