Wednesday, December 07, 2005

manousakia

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Tis the season.

I started my Christmas shopping today, or rather my Christmas looking. It's been six years now; I've given pomegranates to everyone I know, and good luck charms full of blue beads and little silver garlics. I've done the wine, I've done the cheese, and I've done the baklava. I did textiles once, and wedding wreaths when relevant. Chocolate is a standard. I was on my way home, empty-handed and empty-headed as far as Christmas was concerned, when I met a dear old friend, an acquaintance really, on a motorcycle. We stopped, we kissed, we held hands a little too long. It was great to see him. I was carrying my manousakia (must be a Cretan thing) and feeling not Christmassy exactly, but nostalgic. A little romantic. Flowery.

It wasn't that guy. It was the other one.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Haven't started my Christmas shopping yet... but you seem to have captured the spirit of humanity and friendship well in your post... leaves me feeling inspired... hopeful... almost festive...

5:14 AM  
Blogger soap said...

I wish I had inspired myself! I'm getting there, though. I spoiled (foiled?) a surprise today that certainly lifted my spirits. Sarah, I have the impression that you are just the nicest person in the world...

12:08 PM  
Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Sorry it's been a while, sissoula:-) Today is last day at the office (officially) so I thought I'd pass by...

but, honestly, x-mas shopping on 7 december? That's a bit late isn't it?:-) In Brussels, people started around early November!!! Here in Ghana, conversely, it's around the...18th !!!

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home