Monday, December 12, 2005

winter in you

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
You Said Love by the Gus


Here’s a poem written by Laura Sims, a middle-school classmate of mine. We used to tease this girl for her glasses, but I think we all knew, and secretly conceded, that she was cooler than the rest of us. She’s published now. She’s won awards. She’s the envy of another classmate (“so effing jealous” was the phrase she used), also a writer, and a good friend, the only one, in fact, who asked me how I felt about my brother’s news (a loaf in the proverbial oven), who understands how unhappy it can make a person, to be happy for someone else.


Have I seen such a tower

Her fleshy, spectacular hand
Would the dogs not find

A tower of ash when the hearth wound down
What it costs

to put winter in you!
Her nails cleanly sculpted, bare

And the autumn?
One buys tires for life

Ablaze—
Then her hair falls down

Her hand
Is the winter

lost, little innocent people?




(A blogger person has a nice review of this poem here.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That someone's happiness will make others unhappy is nothing to write home about... probably the most common thing among people.

But for someone to be happy for another person's happiness, and yet unhappy for it, well, it's either very confusing or deeply sincere (or both).

As for your friend's poem... well, I don't know. I definitely don't get it (but, I mean, i totally don't get it...), and perhaps to some extent I also don't... buy it...

I told you what I consider real poetry, who I think is a real poet. You don't have to look too far at all.

4:10 PM  
Blogger soap said...

And I don't like the line about tires for life, but I'm not in a position to judge. As for happiness, it comes and goes. That's what (un)happiness is.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home