Friday, January 13, 2006

relative complexity

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I was given two books for Christmas, both excellent. One about a childhood (thrillingly disturbing, complex, and sweet) in Africa, and the other, a timely anthology of poetry (best represented by a lonely woman in a handkerchief in the rain?). Both books were given to me by a friend, who came to the following conclusion about problems in her present relationship(s): “It’s very complex, and all this complexity isn’t very sexy.” Well, I read the first maniacally; it kept me up at night. The second I’m reading slowly; I stop at lines I like, I reread, I study the words.

Sexy is relative, as is complexity.

This poem is nice. It’s by Stephen Dunn, who says he’s interested in “clarity in the service of complexity.” I’m all for that.

On TV the showbiz of war,
so I turn it off
wishing I could turn it off,
and glance at the five white roses
in front of the mirror on the mantel,
looking like ten.
That they were purchased out of love
and are not bloody red
won’t change a goddamned thing –
goddamned things, it seems, multiplying
every day. Last night
the roses numbered six, but she chose
to wear one in her hair,
and she was more beautiful
because she believed she was.
It changed the night a little.
For us, I mean.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

"Sexy is relative, as is complexity."

Now there's one of the most sensible things I've heard in a while. Good food for thought, that.

8:24 AM  
Blogger soap said...

Sarah, thanks. Unfortunately, sensible is relative too. Sometimes the most sensible thing is the thing that makes the least sense of all.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Erik said...

"I know it when I see it."

2:16 AM  
Blogger soap said...

I know I've got my mom's mountain frugality in me (we were so poor when I was a kid, I remember having to help her cut the paper napkins in half), but I'm thinking... a little abstraction and subjectivity can go a long way.

Erik, thanks for those seven little words.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

"we were so poor when I was a kid, I remember having to help her cut the paper napkins in half"

I still do that!!!

But, honestly, I think that statement is a reflection of your monumental humility. I daresay not many people would be honest enough to say this.

Thankyou!!

what is poverty anyway? if the mind is sufficiently rich, who really cares? It's a good subject to blog abt.

AT the "retreat" (and it really was!), I met this REALLY smart young lady...actually, I think I will blog abt it...

cu's later...:-)

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home