Tuesday, March 28, 2006

black and white and sort of stylized

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Illustrations from the lovely and moving Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi. Someone recently told me I remind him of an Iranian girl he used to know. He said it had nothing to do with the veil, but rather some expressions. I think there could be a likeness after all.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Some scenarios are so beautifully profound and romantic… until you have to live them yourself. Pain is so edifying in novels, the heroine so much the better for having loved and lost. In real life, they say it’s the hormones, it’s the pregnancy, it’ll pass. If they are right, if it is the pregnancy, what better or realer reason could there be for feeling everything twice as strong? If everything seems to take on more importance at a time like this, it’s because everything does take on more importance at a time like this. A terrible importance. And we’re talking about things like having someone’s hand to hold one weekend and no one’s the next; having someplace to go, a place where you are wanted, and noplace at all; knowing what you want and realizing in a half-lit churchyard, for what seems like the first time but can’t be, that they are all the same things you can’t want. I’d been in that churchyard before.

He didn’t even ask me where I’d been. He just laughed like it was all just a silly thing that happened. I said, only because I promised my mother I would, “Do you want to talk about this?” He said, “You had your chance to talk about it last night,” when we sat through a painfully long and embarrassingly short dinner together, in silence, at Erganos. But even then, I tried.

I had just spent an hour sewing the cat-eaten couch back together, and I wondered out loud if the buka would take one look around and wish it could go back where it came from. I know that was not the most sensitive way to put it. It wasn’t about our finances; it wasn’t about his ability to provide or to protect our material possessions from the cat of mass destruction. I was really just asking if the buka will like us. It is something of concern to me.

Now we’re in a phase where we don’t talk at all. I’m holding my tongue, thinking very carefully about what it is I want to say, or rather, what it is I want to do. He believes in routines. He won’t invite trouble, or emotion, which to him are the same things.

4 Comments:

Blogger efpalinos said...

Personal posts are usually the most interesting, often the most beautiful and probably the most difficult to respond to. Its hard really to say something to someone you dont know for a situation your are not really aware yet you read their words and they seem (to you at least) to appeal for discourse...so..

I think writing is escape, reading is escape and that is one more reason why heroes and heroines are so attractive albeit their sea of misfortunes - But... but, escape is a drug and when it lasts long or comes in many different vials (so many can be bought)it all seems so nice and real and like any other drug it becomes addictive. So we learn not to face facts or emotions, so they become ghosts that haunt us. We can't fix all this, but perhaps if we recognise it maybe we can learn to live with it...I dont know..maybe we can let go only of those things that we have come to know for what they are...so before we can escape them we have to really face them...its like Odysseys and the Sirens...

12:41 PM  
Blogger soap said...

You've identified the issues. Maybe it's not so personal as universal. (It's difficult for me to respond to, too -- as you know.)

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The buka will like you (you). It will adore you. How could it not...

7:49 AM  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

I admire how you capture the essence of human emotion and relations in this post.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home