Tuesday, March 14, 2006

crash

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Couldn’t sleep last night. This was due, in part, I think, to a suddenly crazy work schedule (which ordinarily wouldn’t bother me, but I had planned to spend this week on other things) and in part to Crash, which the New Yorker cheerfully exalts as a “brazenly alive and heartbreaking film.” I didn’t watch it because it won. I watched it because I finally found it available on the shelves of my redemptive albeit hit-and-miss DVD club and it is the only one of the five nominees for best pic, the only one, to appear in any form, big screen or small, in my charming but unfortunate, culturally deprived town.

After the first five minutes, I found the film and each subsequent crash in it superfluous and heavy-handed (as my college poetry teacher used to say). The New Yorker says the “bizarre coincidences” that predictably and inexorably weave the disparate characters’ lives into one plot, as if all of Los Angeles consisted of about 25 people, “feel exactly right.” I remember saying “oh, brother” more than once.

Still, things do happen: the bad cop and the good cop do a classic flip-flop; Sandra Bullock nails the rich but desperate housewife (watch out for those slippery socks on your extravagantly slick wooden floors!); a magic mantle saves a little girl whose incongruously tatooed daddy is the most sympathetic character in the film.

I’ve never been to L.A. The America I know is rarely the one that makes it to the movies. There is plenty of ignorance that looks an awful lot like intolerance, but I think it does a great disservice to put so obvious and so violent a face on it. We swallow it in small doses, and the more we swallow, the more insidious it becomes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

Is that Matt Dillon? I remember swooning over him as a teenager when he was in such classics as "the outsiders" and "eddie and the cruisers". He used to do the brooding sullen rebel teen thing rather spunkily as I fondly recall.

2:28 PM  
Blogger soap said...

That is Matt Dillion in the photo, and he's also the sensitive -- and still brooding! -- cop that the passenger mentions. They say Crash was the "safe" choice for the Oscar -- a movie homegrown in L.A., with a theme somehow so far beyond controversy that the merits of the film as a work of art no longer much mattered. (sort of like the awards themselves...)

6:07 AM  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

I confess... I had not even heard of Crash until the Academy Awards. But then again... I live in Alberta, where Brokeback Mountain was filmed. Considering this is the most C/conservative province in our country, no wonder it was the talk of the land. Haven't seen that one yet either.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

I saw "Crash" two weekends ago, and whilst it didn't have the whoompf I was expecting from the trailer, I thought it wasn't bad at all.

Dillon played a very realistic role in my view, and I think the use of the Black Chev deliberately confusing viewers by being used as the stolen DA's car, as well as the Hollywood producer's car was interesting...

as for "Cruel Intentions" fame star Ryan Phillippe accidentally shooting the younger car-jacker for pulling out a "hail mary", which he construed to be a gun, I thought was telling. Couldn't help wondering whether the fact that he burnt his car was his entry-point into the corrupt LA police system way of doing things...;-)

Some scenes, and some of the dialogue were cliche, without a doubt, but I thought overall, the acting was good. Re-call that Bullock and people like Brendan Fraser have appeared mostly in comedies, so this type of acting was not just great, but out of character, plus Fraser looking at his black assistant as he told his angry wife, played by Bullock, that he "loved her" was very well-done. There were no words needed. It was evident he was having an affair with his black assistant, and that in so many ways explained the partiality he had towards Blacks around him.

I am not entirely satisfied with the film, in part because I saw it in bits, as in two days, but I'd like to see it again.

I have never seen magnolia, and will definitely look out for it.

thanks for this post--thought-provoking...

I wonder "have you had a conversation with God today?"

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home