Thursday, November 30, 2006

a hat is a wonderment of flirtation

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Last weekend, I saw some of my (former? future?) colleagues. I loved how they asked about the baby, just to give themselves a forum to go on about their own experiences. I should be used to that inevitable first question by now, but there it was. I was relieved to be interrupted before having to answer it. It can be done in a word, but if the word happens to be no, you’re obliged to follow up. I know I’m sensitive, but it’s not all in my head: there is a whole world of guilt out there, a thousand reminders, that your baby may be fine, but still, you failed.

I could write more, but I’m still not at the point of being able to write about it. I am at the point of being able to look beyond it, a little. The buka is a joy. I’ve always known that, but I was too resentful or exhausted or overwhelmed by the whole experience to appreciate it much. I didn’t disagree with the shrink’s diagnosis of depression; I just didn’t know what to do with it. I still wonder how things might be different if I had taken the meds, or if I decide to pursue therapy with some other, nicer counselor. It was a wake-up call for me. Maybe that was enough.

One of those colleagues drove me home, and I invited her in to meet the buka. Greeks don’t like to come in someone’s house for the first time empty-handed, so she hemmed and hawed a little, but finally, I convinced her. When I first met this person, I admired her instantly for what I call her “fuck you” attitude. She’s an imposing woman: she dominates any room, any conversation, any man, woman, child, or group in proximity. She’s large, loud, and completely unabashed. These characteristics, which are exactly the opposite of my own, can get tiring in a hurry. It’s been a long time since I considered her a friend.

But for all her drama and self-absorption, I have to say her reaction to the buka struck me as really genuine. She took one look at her, and cried.

She has a daughter of her own. She says she just really loves babies. I’ve seen people react to the buka in so many different ways, from the women in the supermarket who insist that she’s cold and tell me not to spend too long in the refrigerated aisles, to open-mouthed little kids who seem to find it fascinating that there are people even smaller and cuter than them. Once a stranger crossed the city center with me, practically hip to hip, smiling at the buka the whole way. Men are especially funny. Babies bring out all kinds of emotions in people. I think that’s what’s been happening to me. She doesn’t have to flirt to melt my heart or get a good meal, but she’s so good at it.


(Title of post stolen from here.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

A Wonderment of Flirtation, what a great phrase! Reading that article brought back lots of memories of my hat-wearing days. Maybe I should blog a few.

And that buka is such a charming little buka in that charming little bobble-hat. Sigh. A flirt after my own heart.

7:45 PM  
Blogger soap said...

But why are your hat-wearing days behind you? I can't believe you can make it through the winter without a hat! I love pulling a hat off when it's cold outside and warm inside and your hair goes nuts with a staticky life of its own...

9:02 AM  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

I don't know how Madcap makes it through the winter without a hat, either!! I'm all for hats, regardless of the fact that they mess up your hair. But buka doesn't have to worry about that for now. Buka is Cute Regardless.

As for depression... I've been there. A long time ago. But have never forgotten. It's Not a Nice Place. But you will leave it behind.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

I wear a hood every now and then, but I have this mop of curly insulation on my head and I get way too hot with a hat.

I'll write about it sometime, my prior hattiness.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

What gorgeous buka photos. I'm with madcap, I cant wear hats due to curly wild hair getting hot underneath (or they blow off in the wind) but am always envious of people (and bukas) who can carry of a good hat-wear.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home