Monday, January 31, 2005

Dogs and ring-tones

I propose the following experiment. I am sure that otoacoustic guys (like yk) will find it particularly intriguing.

It is a well known and scientifically established fact that people who own dogs tend to look like them. It may be that they choose to own dogs that look like them, or they slowly change and become like their dogs, or their dogs change or something, but it's a fact.

On the train today (the "electrical"), cell phones kept ringing. And every now and then you would hear the most ridiculous, or interesting, or peculiar ring tone. So every time I heard such a ring tone, I would first try to imagine the personality that would have selected such a ring-tone, and then I would discretely turn and see the face of the person to see if it matched my expectations.

Most of the times I was totally off. The most boring people would own cell phones playing the most exciting dance tunes. The most well dressed guys would have their phones play the "karagouna". And the most serious would play the tune from "karagiozis".

So I guess that this verifies my theory that people select ring tones NOT because they like their sound, but because it's a way for them to pretend they are not who they seem to be: "I may look like I am boring, but I actually have a sense of humour". "I may seem like a no-life accountant type of guy, but actually every night I go dancing and partying at the most hip places". And stuff like that.

So choosing a ring-tone is the opposite of owning a dog, in this respect: You choose a ring-tone that contradicts your persona!

Anyone care to provide more data points?...

As for myself, my cell phone goes "ring-ring.... ring-ring...." so I guess my message to the world is "what you see is what you get... woops, this is where I get off...".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home