Sunday, June 19, 2005

semiotics for beginners ii

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This, my rooms tolet, that I open after my englis test I fail, not going gooder, if I study or not. I say welcome to you my friend, to stay, to eat drink. I secure you, you are not to go away never again! Geia sou file mou! (Hot water, brake-fast, open parkin but careful the goats go on the car to eat from the trees).


I know it’s not fair. He was disqualified at least twice, and as a member of the blog, he shouldn’t have been allowed to participate in the first place. But still, my hat goes off to Steph (Congrats! That's all you're going to get) as the winner of last week's so-called caption contest (winning entry above), which was really just a silly excuse for me to post a photo from my holiday in Rhodes as a joke at his expense. Two, but that’s it -- there won’t be any more pictures of Stefanos Studio, I promise. Let his humor, persistence, and grace under fire be a model to us all. You’re a good sport, Steph.

You have to be, to do well with semiotics. The signs may not always be full of mistakes and point in opposite directions, but that doesn’t mean it’s always a good idea to follow them. All we can do is be more sensitive, see them for what they are at any given moment, and know that the meaning is likely to shift in the next. Context is everything, but it’s fun to crop most of it out. To try, anyway.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Congrats"? That's all I get?!

Hey, not fair...

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home