Tuesday, October 11, 2005

a pain in (or somewhere near) the neck

Pain is hard to assess and hard to manage. You think you can tolerate pain. When the doctor asks if you're okay, you say yes. You say the same when he tells you it's not pain at all; it's fear that you feel, not the needle or the knife or the pressure or the cyst. It's fear that turned your vision black and your skin bright white, ice cold, covered in sweat. It could be.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
problem

It's hard to imagine pain until you feel it yourself, and then it's hard to imagine it gone.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
solution (phase 1)

More than one type of pain has converged in me. I am constantly reminded that it could be worse, that people suffer worse things. I'm in good hands; the doctor is family. And according to him, I'm in no pain at all. Just cover it up. It no longer exists.


2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

That looks sore, whatever it is.

Interesting that we've both had postings about pain recently. Here's hoping yours has subsided somewhat, since you wrote the posting.

8:38 AM  
Blogger soap said...

I hate to admit it, but the doctor was right. I'm much better off than I was before. Strange that sth like pain can be debilitating, elevating, and ultimately forgettable, all in equal measure.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home