Wednesday, November 02, 2005

a walk on the walls

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

If you get high enough, my town is really something to be proud of. It helps if you know where the stairs are: they are unmarked; they don’t look like much; they are a secret well and rightly kept. Of course, there’s more than one access point to the walls. Some are popular with tourists, others with athletes.

One afternoon last week, I encountered all walks of life up there: an old woman with a very excitable dog (in whose mouth I found my entire forearm), a group of pre-teen boys smoking cigarettes and engaging in a mediated dialog with some pre-teen girls on a nearby bench (“Wanker!” The girl in the white go-go boots called out, the language of flirtation differing from the language of contempt only in tone of voice), a young man walking alone, hands clasped in a prayer known only to him and God, couples fighting, couples kissing, one couple interrupted by a dad on a cell phone.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I walked from one heart-shaped bastion to the next (they have great names like the Bastion of Sabbionara and the Bastion of Martinego), til I arrived at the sea. There was nowhere to go from there, but back.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have walked around your walls, as high as can be (I was in good company). And i found some of the secret access points, went through them. Once inside, you never want to walk out again.

I didnt visit the bastions, but their names are really great. Especially Sabbionara, which also reminds me of Punta Sabbioni in Venice, where my grandpa used to take us for the best seafood risotto i have ever had.

Hey, maybe we can go some time!

2:51 PM  
Blogger soap said...

Next time, I'll draw you a map, a reliable one, although perhaps in a shaky hand and flawed by a few orthographic errors.

We all make mistakes.

I love the pictures that you found, and thanks for the invitation. I'd love to.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home