Sunday, December 18, 2005

home for the holidays

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Catster says this cat is cooler than mine

Christmas is coming early this year. For me, anyway. I’ll be good and open my presents when I’m supposed to, but I won’t have to be patient much longer. Two short flights and one night in Amsterdam. One more flight (a long one), two hours or less in a car, and I’ll be home. I call it home, but it was never my home. I didn’t grow up in that house. My parents moved south when I moved west. I took most of what I owned with me, but it ended up back with them, in the basement where I slept that one year between the Great Plains and Greece, and where I sleep now, as a guest. I see my books, my bed, my cactus, and my cat once a year. At Christmas.

The books are in boxes, stacked sky high; the cactus is just as tall, immovable now, having reached the ceiling of the sun porch and started growing across it, and into it. As for the cat, she is no longer mine. She remembers me, but I sit alone and jealous while she snuggles up with my mom, or more often, my dad. She visits my mother in bed at night, meows, brings toys; mom puts them under the pillow, half-asleep, and wakes up to a funny collection in the morning. They have an understanding, those two, and a sense of humor.

My bed is in pieces -- parts of a life I sometimes think about going back to.

It’s a comfort to have somewhere to go, even if it’s only for two weeks of the year, sometimes three. When I go home, I always have the sense of going home. The strange part is that I feel it equally strongly, when I come back.

Merry Christmas to everyone. Especially you, Steph.

6 Comments:

Blogger tristan said...

don't pig out this season, keep those greek feet in action !

very best wishes from tristan

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And happy holidays to you, Sissy mou. And come back fast!

PS. Say hi to mom!
PPS. Oh, and Paschalotos is way cooler than this alpine-feline.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

Dear Steph and Sissoula, wishing you both the merriest of christmases, I have really enjoyed reading your lovely stories this year - Thanks and have a great time. Lou

9:40 AM  
Blogger zouzou said...

I love your cat picture! my two completely ignore my tree which is both a relief and a disappointment - I have no toppling tree stories! although considering my glass ornaments that's a good thing. Merry Season.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Happy holidays to you both, Steph and Sissoula... Your story does make one ask... Where's home? And where do you spend the rest of the time when you're not there?

Well, wherever it may be, may be peace and harmony travel with you. Safe journey and happy holidays.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where's home?

That's a tough one...

I think I will let Sissy answer this; she promised she'd try to make the odd surprise-appearance, from time to time.

As for me, I'll be around, but I don't expect to feel too inspired before she returns. It's all about her, really...

Well, happy holidays!

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home