Sunday, January 22, 2006

hooters

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I read recently that it’s bad luck to see an owl in daylight, but it’s happened to two of us now, so I guess, even if I’m doomed, I’m in good company. Actually, a bit of googling turned up the not unexpected fact that owls tend not to bode well under many circumstances. Still, I was happy to spot this guy in Shenandoah National Park. The experience was made even more dramatic by the fog –- there was nothing like the sound of his wings, and only that, as he disappeared into the eerie white wood. The fog, in fact, was probably the only reason this owl was making such a public appearance during the day.

I know he’s not as cute as Lu’s, and neither is his name. Hers was a boobook. Mine was just a barred.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Like taking owls to Athens"

PS. How do you know it was a guy?

1:57 PM  
Blogger soap said...

Confession: I altered the text (very slightly) to reflect your numismatics.

But I'm leaving "guy" -- I know it's biased (and the owl could very well have been female, male and female owls being rather indistinguishable), but I meant it in a friendly, gender-neutral sense. I had considered "it," but (another confession) I wanted to anthropomorphize a little.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just picture the moment when the owl opened its wings to disappear in the silence of your foggy forest. It must be hard, at such a moment, not to imagine that the owl, in its serious, detached look and posture, does indeed represent something, or someone.

Were I an ancient Athenian, I think I would not have resisted the temptation of believing that it represents someone who cared about me or felt a special affection, who is now far away, or gone, but has somehow found this way to watch over me, or just be close to me, from time to time; as close as the Gods will allow!

But I guess that's just me...

PS. You didn't have to alter the text (editorial rules, remember?)...

9:04 AM  
Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

looks like a lovely sepia postcard. mysterious owl in the mist.

Was it supposed to be bad luck for us or the owls??

1:27 PM  
Blogger soap said...

For us, I guess, but now that you mention it, that owl did take off in a hurry, like he knew sth I didn't.

I hope your little boobook is weathering the heat and the fires. Habitat loss, smoke inhalation, these things are not so good for owls. Or any other creature.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home