Friday, July 28, 2006

red tape

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Photo by el7bara, via Adrian


It was a hectic week, but I don’t have much to show for it.

Workers set to work on the new house on Monday. They were called off on Tuesday, when the owner of the house suddenly changed her mind and insisted on a meeting sometime next week with a notary public, to formalize the amicable but thus far strictly verbal agreements already established. The delay was not appreciated, but it is her house. She calls the shots.

Meanwhile, I attended two meetings with the carpenter who, in all likelihood, will be hired to renovate the kitchen. He has a belly just like mine, except I have the decency to keep mine covered. The fingers of his right hand are a deep-dyed black. He wore me out with continuous talking in the heat and dust and noise of his shop.

At some point I was told that because I am not a citizen of the European Union, I have no legal right to buy or own property in Greece. I started thinking of other options: applying for Greek citizenship, buying the house as a business, or buying the house in the buka’s name, also a problem since the buka doesn’t have a name, or even a legitimate existence, yet.

It turns out I can own property, but if said property is on an island, some special procedures are required. I asked the embassy what they are, and was told to find a lawyer who knows what he’s doing. I later determined that it’s the Ministry of Defense to whom I have to apply for the permit, since I, as a prospective foreign national urban apartment half-owner, constitute a clear and present danger to the integrity of Greece's borders. Of course.

The same day, I had asked my boss for help with some other special procedures required to get the insurance coverage I am due for my maternity leave, etc. (I only have two more weeks of work.) He said to ask one of my colleagues who gave birth last year. She said she didn’t remember a thing.

Then there were several snags with the money that was supposed to be transferred ASAP from America. First my broker erroneously ordered a “hold proceeds,” instead of a “mail proceeds.” Oh, sorry, she said. Then my parents, who had been assured that, once deposited, the money would be transferred “instantaneously” from their bank to mine, found out that international transfers are only done at 12 noon, which meant an instantaenous delay of a day. Due to time zone differences and a weekend, that one-day delay has been extended considerably.

So, finally, the situation remains like this: the property owner wants a sizeable downpayment before signing anything binding on the house, while the bank wants a signed contract before handing over any money.

Oof.

But I'm sure all of this can be resolved. In time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, well, that's not red enough! The other day I went to the municipality to have P entered in some register (actually it was a military service register kind of thing, once he'll be trained for combat you could use him in your plan to take over the island of Crete and establish the new republic of sissouland!), and they insisted that P is in Corfu. They meant that his papers ended up in Corfu by mistake. I said "no way, i was at home with him just 20 minutes ago, and he can't drive, he's not even 2 years old". They didn't laugh...

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home