Thursday, February 01, 2007

bread and butter


Learn how to make your own rabbit rabbit(!), with or without underwear, here.


So now that I’ve got the woman, I’ve started doing lessons again in the afternoons. I’ve found new students here and there. It was hard, but not impossible, to build my student base back up from none. I’ll probably start back at the school again in the summer, but for now I’m a free agent.

During the very stressful period between not having and having a woman, I happened to receive the quarterly newsletter of an English-teacher association to which I belong. It included an article on private lessons, which very explicitly stated that teachers who really know what they’re doing not only can charge “rather a lot” for private lessons, but should. The article included some very specific figures about what we should be getting for quality work at advanced levels; those figures made my head spin, til I finally decided to email the author, to ask if he was for real.

He wrote me back. He was very nice, a bit mercenary by his own admission, but nice, and quite liberal with his advice. I already had the occasion, and the additional considerations that every hour I work, I not only have to pay the woman, but also lose that time with the buka; he gave me the encouragement I needed to raise my rates. I’m not charging anywhere near the prices he suggested, but what I found out is that it’s really just a matter of asking for it.

---

Meanwhile, I’ve been helping a friend edit an article she wrote in English about folk arts and traditions in Crete. In one village, she wrote, they celebrate Easter with fireworks and crackers.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better title: "Bread, butter and bacon"

Rabbit rabbit to you too.

2:17 PM  
Blogger soap said...

Thanks... but this rabbit is a vegetarian.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home