Monday, March 28, 2005

EuroCrapoVision

Now will someone PLEASE explain to me what the deal is with this crappy, shitty, useless waste of money and time that they have been calling "eurovision" since before I was even born?

I mean, let's look at the facts. The music industry is big and strong. There are all sorts of different musical styles that sell like hell, many of them decent. There are so many fresh new young groups that are trying to make it, many of them talented. And there is a ready-to-use infrastructure called the "eurovision song contest", that could have been an excellent platform to promote them. In an ideal world, one could sit through the contest evening and be happily surprized by fresh, modern, decent music of all genres from all countries of Europe.

And instead, you get this God-awful SHIT music, with even more horrific and kitsch appearances. I mean, who the hell ever listens to this music? Who buys it? And even worse, who decides that this is the music that Europeans want to be listening to?

I mean, SAKIS???!!! "Shake it baby" ????!!!! If someone believes that it would take a songwriter/composer more than 30 seconds to come up with the melody and lyrics, please go take a shower because you probably stink and I wouldn't want you around my blog (thanks dystro, I know it's irrelevant but it felt right!). And that was the highlight! Or even worse, that "Jane-meets-Britney" person from the Ukraine with the equally un-original, un-interesting, un-anything song that won last year.

My suggestion: Either ABORT the whole deal, or if not, let's only allow entries like "S.a.g.a.p.o.", if you know what I mean, that are at least REALLY FUNNY (although in an equally sad way).

The only positive thing that I have seen in the entire eurovision business is the small 30 second clips that each country sends in with images from it's nicest parts. Those are usually nice... But that's it.

Ουφ, αυτά είχα να πω, τά 'πα και ξεθύμανα...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! This reminds me of the other thing I wanted to post...

1:30 PM  
Blogger Dimitris Athanasiadis said...

One easy way to get rid of it - stop watching it, stop sending in votes...

4:12 PM  
Blogger dystropoppygus said...

OK, I understand your ordeal. And it's certainly not easy to just stop watching it (I take it you don't spend money sending votes in, do you?). My answer, as with most annoying things in life, is humour. And, thanks to our fellow blogger nik-kit, this issue has received more than it's fair share of humour. Please visit and read his excellent history of Eurovision Contests. All four installments (and there's sure to be more). Then, having laughed enough about it (hopefully), you'll see it's easier not to give a shit no more.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Νίκος Κιτωνάκης said...

Thank u, dystropoppygys, for your kind words. As for you, Steph, I promise to get to our 2002 participation (S.A.G.A.P.O.) soon enough... :)

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home