Wednesday, May 25, 2005

sea salt

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
grace

The whole Mediterranean – the sculptures, the palms, the gold beads, the bearded heroes, the wine, the ideas, the ships, the moonlight, the winged gordons, the bronze men, the philosophers – all of it seems to rise in the sour, pungeant taste of these black olives between the teeth. A taste older than meat, older than wine. A taste as old as cold water.
-- Lawrence Durrell, Prospero’s Cell: A Guide to the Landscape and Manners of the Island of Corcyra, 1945

The other thing about the Mediterranean is the water itself. Sometimes I wonder if I had ever drunk (much less tasted) water, at all, before I came to Greece. I have no memory of it. The olives, I’m sure, were Spanish, pitted and pimentoed, tasteless. To be eaten and immediately forgotten. That first summer in the village, freckled and burnt, black, and blonde, like never before or since, I fell in love with olives, real olives, tiny and black, native and not for export, salty like the sea, like all that water… that marooned me on this island, left me high (and dry)… long enough to forget what I had left behind.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gradually the magic of the island settled over us as gently and clingingly as pollen. Each day had a tranquillity, a timelessness, about it so that you wished it would never end. But then the dark skin of night would peel off and there would be a fresh day waiting for us, glossy and colourful as a child's transfer and with the same tinge of unreality.
Gerald Durrel,
"My family and other animals".

12:02 AM  
Blogger soap said...

In my case (the first summer again), the continuity bordered on the unbearable, the timelessness, the friendlessness, the day to day sameness. The days were bright and unreal; the Greece I had imagined was somewhere else. I lived in books; I played solitaire for hours waiting for a line to read emails from home; I learned one verb (thelo) and a whole lot of nouns.

8:04 AM  
Blogger yk said...

With the summer upon us (even though its drizzles today) this post had me craving for the beach…
–there goes another working day…

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home