Saturday, May 21, 2005

Umph!




I remember several years back when I went to a specialized audio equipment store in northern London to buy my first "serious" stereo amp. The guy had a really cool testing room in his basement, we brought down a couple of different set ups he recommended, I already had with me a few CDs with the sort of music I usually listen to (he had asked me to bring them), and we started fooling around, full volume and all that. Extra cool stuff!

After a couple of trials, he said we needed something with more "umph"! He explained to me that to give a sound more "umph" (or "body"), it was essential to amplify different frequency ranges at different levels. It turned out that the sound with the appropriate "umph" for me was the result of amplifying the lowest and highest frequencies considerably more than the mid-range ones.

My interpretation of this phenomenon is the following:

The lowest frequencies carry the "base" of the music, its underlying fundamental qualities, its rhythm, its foundations, what is required to make you feel that it is "for real".

The highest frequencies contain the information about instantaneous changes, the culminations, climaxes, the moments of abrupt state changes, the points of discontinuity.

The mid-range frequencies carry the rest of the song, in a sense its "every day" life.

So, as it happens, you (well, I!) can have a perfectly fulfilling and complete (acoustic) experience based on the lows and highs only.

The "everyday" stuff is of much lower importance.

At least that's how I feel about it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, since noone will comment, I will!

This was actually my best post ever, and probably the last one too.

This blog has served its purpose.

But I reserve the right to change my mind (diko mou einai oti thelw kanw).

1:44 PM  
Blogger soap said...

If I were looking for metaphors, I’d start with the basement: a dark, deep space where loud things can happen without disturbing the neighbors, where quiet things happen, unseen and unspoken. It’s nice to be alone there, or with a guy who knows his music, to make noise, to experiment, but there’s also the opposite fear that no one will hear you or help you, that you’ll never find the stair. There is “body,” as you say, and there are bodies (I’m not talking about the basement anymore). The first is both intangible and absurdly solid; the latter, though highly tangible, are the first to evanesce.

Steph, I really liked your post, and I know my response is off topic. But I was thinking. Would you mind (do you mind) if I put (some of) my juvenile philosophies on your blog for a while, while mine is (termporarily, I think) out of service? Or is yours really going that direction too?

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Siss,

It would be a pleasure to have you on board. I think you already know
the general rules of conduct around here:
- Anything goes.
- It's a strictly 50-50 partnership.
- The door has no lock, you can get off at any station (but I hope
you'll stick around all the way - I was getting kinda lonely).

If that sounds like your cup of tea, hop on, sisster!

PS. Just changed my mind (re: my 1st comment)

11:32 PM  
Blogger soap said...

Hop on? Yeah, I think I've heard that somewhere before...

Or maybe I've seen it on a t-shirt.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home