Thursday, November 10, 2005

Dr. R. Krugener's Extra-Rapid Apianat

There's this big box full of photos, letters, recipes, stamps and other stuff, all dating from at least 100 years ago. It lies in a closet in my room, and from time to time I browse through it. Mainly it is photos of or shot by my grandpa. From his days as a student at the Geneva medical school, or from the war front in Asia Minor.

Inside that box there always lay another smaller, black box:



I was not sure what it was, although I had an idea. It is all rusty and stuck, and I have been fighting my curiosity and avoided opening it for a long time. But this morning I decided to take a look at it. So, as carefully as possible, I opened its cover:



... and unfolded its content:



It's the actual camera responsible for most of the photos I've been looking at. A genuine pocket cam, dating from the very early 1900's.



Hats off to Dr R. Krugener and his Extra-Rapid Apianat!

4 Comments:

Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Hi from Tunis!

Is your grandpa alive? I think you should bribe him -- maybe with some strange cheese;-) -- to give you stories for free and especially around his camera...

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tunis,

My grandfather had already completed his studies as a paediatrician in Switzerland, and was a military surgeon in the 1921 war in the Middle East (where he was decorated for bravery in combat 8 times, perhaps I should post a picture of his medals).

Unfortunately he passed away in 1986, at the age of 92.

I can assure you that what I posted here is a minimal fraction of the stories I know (or pictures I have) about him, his life and his achievements. And the most important ones he was too modest to share, even with us.

12:23 AM  
Blogger soap said...

A dot from Tunis, how cool!

Almost as cool as a cheese from Metsovo. Hey, what kind of cheese do they make in Corinthia?

But that's irrelevant. Steph, you've got your grandfather's camera, and his eye(s).

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one of these Dr Krugener cameras size 13 x 18 cm. A wonderful thing with its ultra light weight. The camera complete weighs 1100 g. Obviously it was built for the landscape tourist.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home