Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I made cookies!

[Don't try this at home]

The snow kept falling...



...and falling...



...and falling....



So, being snowed-in for the second day in a row (well, not totally snowed in, but enough to use it as an excuse to stay in my pajamas and fluffy sweater all day), and driven by a strong desire to do something that carries a sort of symbolism for me, I decided to make cookies!

I've never made cookies before. And, in spite of my Italian blood, I generally suck as a cook (though I like my pasta al dente, and I can prepare a decent tomato sauce). So I was not surprised at the less-than-visually-pleasing result of this desperate enterprise.

But still, you know me and my projects... I carefully documented every step of it, so I am proud to present to you...

My chocolate peanut butter chip cookies: The true story!

A) The recipe.
I was sent a recipe for these cookies, but when I went to the supermarket to buy the ingredients I forgot it at home. So I just used the recipe off the peanut butter chip package that i found on a shelf:


[Click to enlarge, if you are crazy and really want to try this...]

B) The ingredients
Here are all the ingredients you need. Actually you only need 2 eggs, but I dropped the box on the way back and broke two of them, as you can see...



C) The three main components
After mixing the stuff that has to be mixed, you end up with three things you have to put together:



D) Put it all together, and here's what you get:



E) Then drop bits of that stuff on the paper thingy, and things start looking really ugly:



F) Throw it in the oven, and watch it in agony as the cookies expand...



and start sticking to each other...



What the hell!

G) Take it out. It looks just like cow dung, doesn't it?



Some look a little more decent...



... but still cow dung! Rats!

H) Well, the last bit is kind of straightforward. Let them cool, split them and throw them in a fancy box.



Voila!

I tasted them, and they're not that bad really.

But I need an expert opinion, so I'm gonna pay a visit to the post office.

Tomorrow!

(PS. I really hope this helps a little...)

8 Comments:

Blogger soap said...

Uniformity is only one standard by which to judge a cookie, and certainly not the most important in my book. Did the house smell good while they were baking? Are they crisp on the outisde and chewy on the inside? How many people will smile when you give them one?

Your snowday was well-spent, by the looks of it.

Now get outside and dust poor Poly off! Don't you have a scarf or sth to wrap around his three little necks?

10:11 AM  
Blogger soap said...

... although, upon further reflection, I don't think your PhD advisor would agree with my assessment of your day. But that's okay, because it did help.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The house smelt ok. They actually came out kind of thin, so they are both crisp and chewy all over.

I know one person who is guaranteed to smile upon receiving a box of them. I just hope the smile won't turn into a frown when they'll take their first bite!

Poly is doing just fine! I told you, he's a fighter!

Oh, and as for my PhD advisor, maybe he's getting some cookies too, so that should keep him happy (or put an abrupt end to my research career).

But most importantly... I am so glad it helped!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

the trick is to give them a new name - forget the back of the packet name - give them a new name which reflects the special features you have bestowed on them. What about: Molten Lava Cookies Which Were in Path of Passing Elephant?? And your method now becomes the standard.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Path of passing elephant?"

I'll get you for this one day, L&L :-) ...

(and don't expect to see any of my cookies in your email...)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

My computer says it doesnt accept cookies! (but I do!!)

But seriously, just on the off chance that you are still talking to me after the
elephant-footprinted-biscuit wisecrack, I wanted to send you a link to a post on my sister's new blog which is all about how she and her partner have created a simple 'less is a possibility' sort of lifestyle. I thought you might enjoy reading it. She is a great photographer also.

http://gedsue.blogspot.com/2006/01/down-shifting-in-bermagui.html

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm still talking to both of you :-)

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out!

PS. It's funny because usually your comments appear on the blog around the time i wake up in the morning, which is probably a little before you go to sleep :-)

10:21 AM  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Well done on the cookies.

You've made me hungry.

Funny... the only thing I've ever given my Ph.D. supervisor (besides a headache) was a bottle of whiskey at Christmas. I'll have to try cookies next time... Which reminds me... my oven needs fixing...

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home