Monday, April 10, 2006

Ocellated integrated


Eventually, after a couple of uncomfortable weeks of hiding here and there, our skink found its way around my garden, and identified what seems to be its new micro-habitat of choice. Clearly happier, it now moves faster and more frequently. It also enjoys sliding its tongue out and back in, now and then, in a very reptilesque way. It's cute...

But what really astonished me is that, underneath one of those pitch black rocks, I found a newborn skink laying low and waiting. I cannot be sure that it's the offspring of our friend, but if it is... then wow! This guy's been busier than I thought (and where's the missus hiding, by the way?).

Anyway, it seems that naming season is open. Any pitches?

5 Comments:

Blogger soap said...

Well, my first instinct might be to say (ahem)... the skink is the missus, you sexist bastard. But what do I know?

P.S. Great picture!
P.P.S. I was serious about the little one. Can I have it?

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must ask the missus, not me. I am just their pet, for as long as they'll have me.

11:47 AM  
Blogger soap said...

Hm, good answer. I guess I should know better than to ask for things that are not in your power to give.

They both need names, don't they? I put forward Floyd and Nutley.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

lovely photo of mamma skink among the pink flowers.

Some suggested names for the skinkii: what about Shrink for the baby and Blink for the missus?

6:33 AM  
Blogger Erik said...

Rinky Dink, Jr.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home