Tuesday, May 30, 2006

househunting cont'd

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
the real live kitchen of the fancy house (the people still live there)

The househunting never went anywhere. There isn’t much on the market, and it didn’t take long to see all there is to see. I’ve already mentioned two that were finally the only two houses realistically considered. I still think about the possibilities of the old one: a spare room for my parents, sunlit office, Olympic-size playroom for the buka, arch, mudroom, doors. Doors are exactly what the other house, the fancy one on the fourth floor, lacks. And what the flat I’m in now lacks, among other things. Not that I’m crazy about doors, but something’s got to be done, to keep the cat on one side of the house and the buka on the other.

The real estate agents are a joke. They show up late, can’t find the key, open the door to the filthy, dusty, uncleaned remains of somebody’s life left behind, shadow you, but don’t offer a word. That’s if they bother to show up at all. The houses stink, are full of mess, and as hard as you try to imagine the possibilities (one even had a garden, full of citrus trees and artichokes), all you are left with is a whining voice in your head that says, “I don’t want to live in this stinky house!”

Properties sit empty. Realtors never call again. Nobody will buy, nobody can buy, unless the owner really decides he wants to sell (I’m convinced this is the real problem), in which case he or she should make a minimal effort at least.

So now I try to imagine the possibilities of not moving, of staying in my apartment -- a crib for the buka or a fold-out bed for my mom? There’s no room for both. Gifts are being amassed -- there’s no room for them either. But one thing the buka has taught me is that you can always make room if you have to. My belly gets bigger; I buy new clothes. To make room for the new clothes, I throw away the old ones. Maybe it’s time.

5 Comments:

Blogger soap said...

update: They sold the house, the old one, the one I really loved, with all those great features. At least it confirms my suspicion that the house really did have potential, it really was a great house, despite all the work it would need to make it so. Which was the only reason for the feet-dragging.

The other house, the fancy one, may have sold by now too. Who knows. An offer was actually made on that one, but realtor never once called back.

I'm thinking about moving to Sweden. So I can have an IKEA house. They're so cute.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

It's been a while since I visited, and I see you've had some big news! I do wish you all the very best, despite the conflicted feelings (perhaps not so much anymore?). Good luck on the housing.

3:57 AM  
Blogger soap said...

Thanks, madcap. The conflict persists (and may in fact be intensifying), but I've realized you just have to have faith -- and see things through to the end. By the way, I've had my eye on your quilts... I would love to undertake sth like that personally, but I think I'd better start small. Very small.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

How does "buka" translate into English?

7:23 PM  
Blogger soap said...

That's such a darling question, I don't want to spoil it by answering it. I'll just say it's not Greek either, if that's what you're thinking. :)

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home