Thursday, June 08, 2006

low-profile projects

I’m on holiday from work for a month (the private schools are closed while the public schools have final exams). Suddenly I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and not much to do with it. So I started a hobby, the kind of thing I can do barefoot and pregnant, which, truth be told, is not such a bad combination. It’s very tedious and time-consuming, which, in my current circumstances, is another combination that works for me.

I wish I had more to say about the pregnancy. At first I was gaining weight slowly (and the doc was happy) and then I put on 4 kilos in 40 days (and the doc wasn't so happy). Now I'm basically on a diet -- no salt, no sugar, no fat, no food. It's definitely not like in the movies where you can sit around eating ice cream and pickles all the time. But I'm doing my best, trying to eat healthy, or failing that, trying to eat something (yoghurt is good).

The buka moves around a lot; she does laps, lunges, and somersaults on occasion. I’ve been trying to introduce her to music, but I want her to be comfortable with silence too, because, well, I prefer it. I feel the burden of responsibility for imposing all my preferences on her, because now she not only goes where I go and hears what I hear, she also tastes what I taste. She can do that.

A week ago, my brother’s wife delivered a baby boy, whom they have grandly named Tristan Bailey. Bailey was our paternal grandmother’s surname. My mother had never even heard of the name Tristan before. So very enthusiastically (the name meets all my personal criteria for a Good Name), I explained its romantic, poetic connotations. Mom liked that and was even happier to report back that some of her friends also knew of the love story of Tristan and Ismeralda! Well, as it turns out, she doesn’t have to worry about getting the reference right (poor mom), because my brother, who teaches English literature but has probably never read an epic poem in his life, said that actually, the name came from the Brad Pitt character in Legends of the Fall. Score one for pop culture.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


But we won’t forget the great contributions of the British Isles just yet, because the kid looks like a hobbit. Let’s hope he grows out of it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

They all look like hobbits. But he's a very cute hobbit. And your mum's pretty cute, too. Tristan and Ismeralda - I love that!

6:56 AM  
Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

yeah he's still cute, hobbit or not. My little nephew came out with a face like an old man.

Anyway, hope the preganncy continues to go well. I can sympathise about the fun free diet too.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Tristan Bailey is a fine name, indeed.

Lovely photo, too.

As for your diet, I might be tempted to smack the doctor upside the head and tell him that it's a bad omen to deny a pregnant woman food. Mind you... I'd be tempted to amack anyone who told me what to do... Here's hoping your baby is less stubborn than I!

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny, my son's name is Tristan Bailey, too... NRieke3@hotmail.com

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a Tristan Bailey in London. He is such a cute baby. For pics please contact bertrieke@yahoo.co.uk

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home