Thursday, October 12, 2006

Milferatu

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The mil started her campaign about a week before my mother left. She started calling every day, feeling me out. She had the perfect pretext to come and stay, a doctor’s visit she’d been postponing for six years. Suddenly she was in a hurry. She showed up last Tuesday and went to the doctor that night. The story could have ended there, except that the doctor went out of town for a week, so the mil stayed on. She wore out her welcome in a hurry. When she wasn’t dominating the baby for hours on end (and then complaining that she hadn’t had time to eat, or sleep, or take her medicine), she sat, on the couch, silent, in the same stiff, sad pose she’d seen in church a thousand times -- hands folded, head angled, an exact Virgin Mary. A patient saint, a selfless martyr, an icon that could make even the hardest heart, or the most innocent, feel guilty.

But that was the least of the guilt induction. First thing she said when she came in was that the baby’s hands were “frozen” and she felt so sorry for her (the standard refrain) that she wrapped her up in 25 blankets til she was sweating buckets. Then the cat sat on the mil’s pillows. I changed the pillow cases. The mil repeats the story seven thousand times -- how lucky she was that she noticed the cat before she put her face where the cat had been, how deeply disgusted she is by animals.

She asked me if the baby was eating well and reprimanded me for saying yes. “If anybody asks,” she said, “you tell them she eats very little.” Otherwise, she’ll get the evil eye. Greeks are sly, she says, too sly for a foreigner for me to understand.

She said a lot of things about foreigners like me.

I tried to be hospitable. I told her I had put some blue towels in the bathroom for her to use. “Mind your own business,” she said. “I brought my own towel.” She also brought towels for the kitchen because she thought I “didn’t have any.”

The criticism was constant. I spoiled the baby, I neglected the baby, I washed the baby in cold water. But the worst, worst thing was how she’d grab the baby and take her right out of my arms. There were two major blowouts over this. The first time, I slammed the door like a teenager, and we both sulked all night. The second time, I put her in her place, which was on the bus, and back to the village.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you. And good riddance.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A happy ending to your story.

Go, girl!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Well, I guess so! Make sure you alienate her good and proper and you won't have any more such visits. Relatives should have to get their licences renewed on a weekly basis.

4:20 AM  
Blogger soap said...

Oh, we've already promised to be "as we were before." And we will be, we can be whatever she wants, as long as she stays put.

8:18 AM  
Blogger soap said...

P.S. Now that I'm alone, really alone, for the first time since giving birth, anybody want to volunteer for babysitting duty? Rats. That mil was good for something.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

She sounds like a real horror, thank goodness she doesnt live around the corner. good luck!

11:41 AM  
Blogger shradha said...

lol ... she sounds straight of Indian soaps. by and by

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well you make her sound like the devil incarnate, which guess could not be he case otherwise we'd know more about her.

but it's a normal case of mother in law (i suppose that's who she is)vs daughter.

i guess she loves the baby and i guess she means good, but all of us know how things get between parents and children -especially parents in law- and more specifically if both parts in this relationship belong to the feminine gender ( and I say that with no misogynism whatsoever).

but do you really hate her as much as you show in this post?

and do you really feel better by having people say stuff like "good riddance" and the especially awful "make sure you alienate her good and proper"?

is she such a monster?

i really doubt it

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this is a "normal case of mother in law" for you, DA, I think you should go out more.

And what's more, by labelling it as normal and pretending it's ok, you do a considerable amount of harm, not only to the recipient of such an inexcusable behaviour (you should try having your newborn infant snatched out of your hands because you are judged incapable of caring for it), but to others around people who will promptly use your statement as justification for their similar actions.

If you live in some rural backwards Greek village, then you have some excuse. Otherwise, you are plain, shockingly, wrong.

3:07 PM  
Blogger soap said...

The mil and I, if nothing else, are seriously incompatible. I don't think the reasons for it really matter.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course I wasn’t there when all this was taking place, but I guess no one else from the people leaving comments was. Therefore, even though I shouldn’t even say anything about it (it’s none of my business anyway) I did, so let me write a few more words.

Its obvious to me that grandmothers believe that no one can take care of their grandchildren as good as they can.
Its also common that mothers and daughters in law are not often compatible.

But,
I also find it normal that a grandma wants to take care of a baby, and I do believe that she means good even if she dislikes the mother.
But “snatch” is a heavy word to use ( even though I wasn’t there to see the actual thing) and I don’t think she run off with the baby to the village or something.

I do not really want to discuss this any more. I’m just a visitor here and I do not want to make the hostess feel uncomfortable by having total strangers (that’s me) discussing her family life. I may be wrong and maybe this woman is indeed a she-devil, but my way of thinking says that sometimes, if you offer something, the other person does not have to fight for it or snatch it out of your hands. And I repeat that I do not want to pass judgment as I only know the facts as I read them on the post above.

But I do feel that the phrase by this madcap (now here’s a fitting username) person "make sure you alienate her good and proper", is not a good advice, especially one given so hastily after reading a post…
As a matter of fact I thing it’s a horrible one, especially as from what I gather from her blog, she is a mother as well. Imagine 20 years from now someone leaving a comment like that on her daughter’s in law blog (or are we all good people here, incapable of mistakes?)

In any case that’s just me. And I do allow myself to think that I may be wrong quite often…

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DA, you have no idea what you are talking about. It's fortunate that you don't want to discuss this any more.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Well, look what I've missed by not checking the older posts!

Anyone with a small baby should be treated with nothing but respect and given plenty of space. Babies are enough work without catering to adult neediness. Adults, especially women who've given birth themselves, should remember this or be forcefully reminded. Good on you, Sis.

6:17 AM  
Blogger soap said...

Well, I'm not sure anything I can say will satisfy the mil defense league (I had no idea there was such a thing). I could give some more examples of things the mil said and did to argue my case, but I think the post says enough. My goal was not to paint a picture of a monster or a devil. I know she loves the baby, and I believe her when she says that everything she did, she did to help me. That's what I meant about incompatibility.

This is not just a "normal" mil-dil tension. It's a clash of culture, principle, personality, upbringing, perspective. You name it.

Between the blowouts, I tried to explain to her that there's a difference between helping with the baby and taking her out of my arms (for which there is no word harsh enough to describe how that feels). I admitted being sensitive to the issue because of how we started, the three of us together in the clinic -- some of this story has also been blogged. When the mil showed up last week, I'd had exactly three days alone with the buka since her birth more than a month before.

Immediately the mil started saying that she only had a few days to spend with the baby, that she would go back to the village and die there... She showed absolutely no understanding of my position whatsoever. And maybe there is an element of hostility on my part, but I refuse to let her guilt me into doing whatever she wants, with the baby or with me.

I wouldn't tolerate it from any other guest in my house. I don't see why I should have to tolerate it from her.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home