Monday, February 19, 2007

clean monday

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Everybody loves lagana.

The almond trees are the first to bloom, wispy, white, and fragrant. The peach trees are next, I think, their blossoms faintly pink. It’s winter in Heraklion, here on the northern coast. In the village, in the south, spring is already on its way to summer. The sun is high and bright; the sky, cloudless, windless, and blue. Yesterday was the perfect day to visit, to take pictures, and to eat, since the fast is about to begin.

The buka was on her best behavior. She put all her sensitivities aside and let her grandmother, her great-grandmother, and all the little old ladies from the village fuss loudly over her, and do whatever old women do when they get around babies. It wasn’t so easy for me. “The first person who ever held you, the first person who ever fed you, that was me!” That was the mil, of course.

But the buka has her way. She showed them who comes first now.

The best moment was when one of the women hilariously confused the buka with her mother. “Look, she’s thinking about something,” observed the mil.

Her crony didn’t miss a beat: “Το γκόμενο.”


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you know all about chorta AND all about trees! I'm impressed. Now post that picture!

10:57 AM  
Blogger soap said...

You flatter me (always). I only know a few things about a few things, most of which you know too.

(We'll see about the picture.)

9:18 AM  
Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

The lagana looks fabbo. I can almost smell it already.

I wish I could read greek to see what the last line meant. I can imagine, but wont say what I'm thinking!! (in case its wildly wrong)

1:44 PM  
Blogger soap said...

I'd say you're probably on the right track. :)

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home