Friday, February 16, 2007

Toilet training

I'm thrilled to present to you the Top 7 books that usually reside in my bathroom. Their purpose there is to accompany me in those private moments that I am sure we all appreciate and look forward to every day (usually). They have been selected wisely for the very specific purpose of massaging the brain waves into the shape required for the task at hand (oops!).

1. The mosaic book

This was given to me by my brother as a present. He's totally nuts, and so are all his presents. I have no interest in making a mosaic whatsoever, and never had. Still, flipping through these pages, filled with little colored bits and pieces, has proven very effectively hypnotising.

2. Traveler's guide to south Italy

No idea how that found its way in the bathroom. I was probably looking at something once, and it got trapped there. I take a look at it from time to time, mainly at the pictures of little harbours and fish markets and traditional Sicilian dresses. Very relaxing.

3. Oil painting guide

Now this is really interesting. All these different techniques for mixing colours and setting up your canvas and brush strokes and adding final touches are really stimulating.

4. The (new) lawn expert

This book turned out to be a bad choice. It filled me with stress about the lousy state of my small lawn. I would browse it forward and backward, looking at the descriptions of the damage each kind of worm or pest can do to a lawn and see which one most resembles mine. Then I'd read the recommended remedies and give up. After a while I refused to look at it any more.

5. The undercover economist

This is a gift from a friend. It's great! I don't know anything about economics, and I read a couple of paragraphs a time. It makes me feel happy that I can sort of understand it...

6. The Merck manual of medical information

This is a leftover from the pre-google era. Now I find any information I need online, but back then it was a really precious book to own. Of course I still don't have wireless coverage in the bathroom (or do I? gotta check...), and even if I did I wouldn't want to expose my laptop to all that humidity, so it's very appropriate. I read a couple of conditions and a time, and more often than not I end up thinking "hey, now wait a minute, I think I could have that too!" And I love all those little illustrations!

7. Small apartments

This appeals to the wanna-be architect inside me. I like to see all the clever little stylish solutions people have thought of. And I wonder how many people can really afford such hot-shot architects. And whether I could have thought of that first. The problem is that I could never live in any of those houses. It's not the size, it's just that... you feel like you don't wanna touch anything in there.

So that's my bathroom's contribution to my continuing, daily education.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

Hooray!!!!! Somebody else reads on the toilet. I am so pleased to hear it, because when friends call round and get a glimpse of my extensive library in the smallest room in the house, they think I am very strange. I've always loved reading on the loo, I dont know what it is, but even the back of the toilet paper pack will do. I bought an old magazine rack from a second hand shop and it now carries "the books that have gone there to die" as one friend calls them.

Best reads in there at the mo include: The Mind Gym, a two week old edition of the Australian weekend magazine, an old australian geo with a spelunking feature, a marie claire so I can pretend occasionally that I will one day wear makeup and glam clothes, a few food mags (they wont be allowed back in the kitchen methinks..)

Good on you Steph for coming out of the water closet on the toilet reading issue.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, rats, as I was reading your comment, I couldn't wait to reply with the "coming out of the (water) closet" line, but then I got to the end and saw you had already beat me to it!

Anyway, I thought everybody reads in the loo, Lu...

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home