Friday, February 23, 2007

grandma's letter


That's Thelma in the middle, and Mildred on the right. 1983.

I wrote about my grandma’s dress. Coincidentally, less than a month ago, my grandma’s youngest sister, my great aunt Mildred, died. Her daughters have been going through her house, and turning up the usual collections of correspondence, photos, and keepsakes from the years, some of which they’ve “returned” to my parents. They found a great letter from Thelma to Mildred written from my grandparents’ weekend cabin in the mountains, where my granddad had a great time fishing and gardening, and my grandma went nuts with boredom and berry collecting.


click to read

I’d love to copy the whole thing out here -- it's so gossipy and spirited and fun -- but it’s also tedious. Very typical desperate housewife stuff, stuff I never thought I’d understand so well.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home