Friday, February 02, 2007

The late lake

I've been quite concerned about the vanishing lake Chad, lately.


[Lake Chad in 1972]

I was watching that documentary on global warming, and I couldn't believe it. I took a look at it in Google Earth, and I thought... rats, it's really gone! Almost gone...


[Lake Chad in 2001]

A quick search and I found the above pair of images. The entire lake, about the size of Sicily around the time my brother was born, is now reduced to almost nothing.

I was telling my environmentalist friend Alex, about how it really looks like the earth is doomed. He laughed and said don't worry about the earth. It's just raising a fever to get rid of the annoying virus, and will keep going. I guess he's right...

So now I'm a virus looking for bugs...

3 Comments:

Blogger soap said...

I prefer the version where the birds land on it, and then pick it up with their feet when they fly away, taking the lake away with them...

But I'm afraid that's from some other movie.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, a totally different movie.

And it's not the only one.

9:39 AM  
Blogger soap said...

But wait, I just found out about another movie, in which the wetlands are not drying up...

(it could be merely a figment of my student's imagination)

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home