Sunday, August 21, 2005

la isla bonita

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
by air*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
by land

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
by sea

It took me a long time to see the beauty here. I thought I should keep my eyes on the sea, the one beautiful thing, but I had a mountain view, or a city view, and I wasn’t used to Europe. I was Ariadne, stranded on this island, searching desperately for a thread to tie me to anything: a person, a name, myself. I looked for it in books. The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony. Freedom or Death. Red Dyed Hair.

Now I’ve learned the lay of her land; I am one with the terrain. It’s a stripped, dry, barren beauty. A negative beauty, a sublime terror of being abandoned on a precipice, or worse, on a treeless shore, on her changeable sea.

There’s a small white church on every promontory, a fortress, a cave, a gulch or a gully. Herds of goats and sheep wear paths through groves both cultivated and wild; their bells make eerie music beyond the line of sight. The trees assume the shape of the wind; vegetation lies low to avoid it, maintaining impossible purchase on sheer, vertiginous rock. Green is a relative term; every leaf shines silver in the sun. There are two seasons, multiple harvests, weather wild, if mild. Summer is a splendor.

In winter, I’ve watched a hailstorm prostrate a priest in the street. I’ve seen waves hit houses 50 meters inland, forcing their waters under watertight doors. I’ve spent cool hours in the moonlight on a quiet beach. And on the same beach, one hot afternoon, alone, a rogue wave came out of nowhere, crashed over me, destroyed me, before I could scramble away. I thought it had carried off the key to my bicycle, stranding me for real, but after a panicked search, I found it, magically, safe inside my shoe.

The beauty of Crete is simple: it’s earth and sea and sky. It’s tremendous, isolating, glorious. It’s almost home.

...
*air by steph
land and sea by sissoula

4 Comments:

Blogger Erik said...

Elegant post. I might stare at the sea, also, if I traveled the Mediterranean...but after a while it would become sort of like watching TV at a friend's house. Better to turn one's head and engage.

1:31 AM  
Blogger soap said...

Wow, an elegant reply. I've wanted to write this post for a very long time. I don't take any of these things for granted. I have lived on this island for many years, and still, it amazes me how it's both easier than you'd think and harder to lose sight of the sea. As for the turning of heads, I usually wait for someone, anyone, to turn mine.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange... I was under the impression it's been spinning at about 4000 revs/minute, lately...

5:24 PM  
Blogger soap said...

Έχω και τάση λιποθυμίας... but not so much lately.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home