Friday, February 10, 2006

irony

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
the raw and the cooked

I worked that iron. It was a firetrap and a saltbox. It spit, it leaked, it shot sparks, and it melted the elastic in my underwear. The steam button released more salt than steam, and sometimes the clothes would end up more wet than dry. And yet, somehow or another, everything got ironed. Amid complaints and curses, I, like the iron, worked in fits and starts.

Until… somebody got tired of my griping and got me a new iron. A fancy new iron. Knowing what this could mean to me, I took my time, I read all the instructions, I used bottled water. I got it all set up, plugged it in, and nothing. Oh, my new iron still has all the promise of when I first took it out of the box. I believe we’ll have a long, steamy, wrinkle-free future together. But the old iron, that jealous, temperamental bastard, just had to get one last laugh before being relegated to the dustbin. Turns out that in its final spark-filled performance, it shorted out the wall socket, the only one I’ve got convenient for ironing.

Which means, new iron or not, this week, unlike almost every single week within recent memory, nothing got ironed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that mr. Paschalis reflected in the bottom part of the shiny iron?

10:02 AM  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

You iron your underwear?

Well, enjoy the new one... whatever you iron!

7:39 AM  
Blogger soap said...

Well, the next campaign is to whine loud enough and often enough to get a tumble dryer... but I have other long-term goals as well. Decisions, decisions. Meanwhile, I iron everything, doctor's orders. It's a necessary evil of line-drying, not a vanity issue.

As for the cat, anything is possible. It's no coincidence that he (also) answers to the name of Mr. Underfoot.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

why did I have this visceral feeling it was Sissoula writing this post--and not Steph?:-)

I for one dislike ironing very much, except when the clothes have already been ironed once before...by my Mum-\:-)

In all seriousness, I spent the better part of last Saturday and Sunday IRONING PLENTY of clothes that had not seen the light of day since...

NOt very interesting, but the elation and sense of satisfaction seeing all those clothes lined up in single file like your proverbial pupils at school, made for a pat-on-the-back for a change in lieu of the self-flagellation that I like to inflict when I fail to iron an item every day from work:-))

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home