Tuesday, September 18, 2007

oh

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It was just a normal Monday afternoon... when I noticed an iguana on the balcony. Paschalis noticed it too, and engaged it in a hissing contest. I put an end to that -- with a pane of glass between them.

The babysitter said, don’t worry, you see those all the time, crawling the walls, one of them got in my window, and I was afraid to sleep, they’re harmless, though. (She talks like that.) That was a gecko, I said, indicating the size of a cute little mosquito-eating gecko with my forefinger and thumb. The iguana on the balcony is no native to Greece, I tried to explain, and anyway, the thing was longer than my arm. And κακάσχημος, I told her, which is a very strong word for ugly.

With the doors and windows closed and locked, I watched it. And it watched me. It went behind the ficus and watched me some more.

Then it went vertical.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It sat on the rail.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And then it started down the bougainvillea, presumably the same way it had come up. (But from where? It seemed less likely that it had escaped -- from a house in this neighborhood, inhabited mostly by the elderly? -- than that it had been abandoned.)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

At which point, it was captured in a laundry basket and taken to the neighborhood pet store. The proprietor said an iguana like that would fetch 150 euros. I’ll give it to you for 50, said my intrepid co-captor. I’ve already got two, said the proprietor. I had visions of the thing spending the night in my house clawing at my laundry basket, and I quickly intervened. We’re not selling it, I made it clear to both of them, we just want to get rid of it. So the guy picked it up, declared it to have frozen (which explained its docility), and put it in a glowing orange tank with two other very fine members of its species. It seemed cozy in there. It was fine by me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Antropóloga said...

How exotic. :) Also, I am impressed you can spell bougainvillea.

Here are your interview questions:

Should adults try to teach young people lessons or should they leave them alone to find out about things themselves? What lessons do you think are most important for your daughter to learn?

What do you need more of to move abroad: courage, stupidity, or plans? Why?

Are cultural differences more charming or annoying at this point?

What's the most bizarre or unusual thing that's ever happened to you while teaching?

What do you think is the most soothing sound?

10:41 PM  
Blogger soap said...

"Exotic" was exactly the word I used to describe the thing to my mother! Nowadays I can spell most words, and before I ever saw a bougainvillea in real life, I'd read enough Jamaica Kincaid novels to be able to spell it... but alas, I still checked it on google.

Thanks for the interview questions -- very thought-provoking. And in general, a very nice project.

Anybody else want to be interviewed?

7:44 AM  
Blogger soap said...

I think the two readers of this blog can already predict my answers to Eva’s questions, but for anybody who’s interested, my responses are there.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's not you, is it?
Woman hides iguana in bra

12:50 PM  
Blogger soap said...

No (you rat) that wasn’t me. But this guy could have been!

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home