Thursday, November 01, 2007

dog-matism, a rare breed of

A very nice dog lives in the shortcut on the way to my house. A very nice woman, I recently found out, feeds the dog. I thought the dog belonged to the people living in the hovel alongside there. He’s obviously looked after, and quite the people dog. He’s super tail-wagging friendly, with passersby large and small. And cats.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The woman said the dog was not hers or theirs, but, to my surprise, a stray. She lives on the other side of the neighborhood, but she stops by to bring him food every morning. She’s made several attempts to take him home with her, but the dog is strangely unwilling… to stray.

Sometimes she cooks for him. The hovel-dwellers aren’t crazy about it.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

But I am. I’m aware now of what a Greek mentality I’ve had to adopt just to walk through that shortcut on a regular basis. I no longer need a handwritten sign on a shoebox top or a cardboard box to tell me what it means to be civilized.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

4 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

But... show us your dog!

10:27 AM  
Blogger soap said...

I fully intended to, but the darn thing is elusive. At least I know where you are now, more or less.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Antropóloga said...

I recently left a bag of trash out on the porch for a few hours, too lazy to take it to the trash can. Some obese dog ended up going through it! EW! Trash juice all over the porch.

3:28 PM  
Blogger soap said...

Well, I don't think it was an obese dog, but somebody got into my kitchen trash today... and may have been found later chewing on a carrot butt...

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home