Thursday, August 24, 2006

moving day

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
(empty)

The very first day I spent in this house, I stretched out head to toe on the couch and fell asleep. I was wearing a long green dress, which I never wore again, but that nap was prescient of so many naps I would take in the same position, on the same couch, in the same place, for years, so many years that I wonder if I ever woke up at all.

The very first day I spent in this house, I asked, in honest amazement, “what’s that?”, never having seen a washing machine so small. That was before I learned to live small, to operate that machine and navigate its programs with ease. That was before I learned a lot of things.

The very first night I spent in this house, I changed out of that long, green dress and into a short, sleeveless one, equally green. I was transported up a mountain where I ate wild greens with lemon and red pickled peppers, chalky goat cheese, and hard barley bread that I thought was stale. The wine I drank turned the city lights into a concert of stars. It was all so beautiful.

And now, the very last day I will spend in this house, my memories are mixed, those early passions dissipated. I’ve spent a lot of time alone here. It’s one of the things the house was good for. I’ve also spent a lot of time wishing I was alone here. Wishing lots of things. I wonder what ghosts I will leave behind in this house where my life changed forever, and then, didn’t change at all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

I'm not feeling very profound at the moment, but your post reminded me of the house where I spent the first five years of my life... a few thousand miles away from here. I had cause to be in that same city again a few months ago... My sister drove me by "our old house". I wouldn't have recognized it if she had not pointed it out. It has been completely re-done... home now to others' memories (30 years' worth)... The house I knew is no more... except inside my head.

Best wishes for a harmonious transition to a new space.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Anything else "moving"?

How are you feeling about the new place?

8:41 PM  
Blogger shradha said...

loads of luck to a loaded woman :)

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all,

on behalf of Sissy, who has no internet access for a while due to the move and all that, thanks for your interest and wishes, to which I add my own.

D-day is approaching, and I'm sure she'll have lots of stories (and pics!) for us all once she'll be back online.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

Hi Steph, please pass on my best wishes to Sissoula - keep us posted!

3:56 PM  
Blogger shradha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:25 AM  
Blogger shradha said...

Hi Steph, any news yet??

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wondering, wondering....

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be patient, people. She'll be back soon, in full force.

Everybody is fine.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home